Thursday, June 03, 2004

Shopping Around

One of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding my episode of heart block in January was that I did not have insurance coverage. I'm still not covered for heart block, and my cardiologist recently asked me to have some chest x-rays to check on the aortic lead that might be out of place.

The cardiologist referred me to Summit Medical Center, where his office is located, to have the chest x-rays performed. Since the doctor was leaving on vacation he told me I could have it done anytime in the next week or so. It occured to me that since Summit and HCA are notorious for overcharging the uninsured, I might want to get a few price quotes before I start writing checks.

I called Summit first and they wanted $245.00 for the procedure. I then called a place my friend Paul told me about called Premier Radiology, and they offered to do it for $71.25 if I pay them upfront. That includes interpretation and even sending the film to the cardiologist by courier if necessary.

So I saved about 70% just by making a few phone calls. It always pays to shop around.

No comments: